Monday, December 19, 2016

The Present

In this Christmas season, as I get ready to leave town to visit family I have been running around trying to get everything in order. There is a buzz in the air, traffic, shopping lines, etc. and it all can be exciting, chaotic, and/or a bit stressful!

I have been thinking a lot about presents as I gather my list of things I need to buy, what I will be baking, and even what I want for Christmas.

If you are anything like me – or know someone like me…I love presents!  It is one of my top love languages (I maybe have all five of them).  I love giving them and I absolutely love receiving them!  The idea of someone thinking about me enough to buy me something as simple as a stick of gum or a sparkly ring – I am always over the moon! I love Christmas because it is somewhat required to get me presents!

It’s funny to me how the word present means “a thing given to someone as a gift,” and it also means “being, existing, or occurring at this time now.” Coincidence? I think not!

At Christmas we get to celebrate the greatest gift we have ever received - God humbling Himself and coming as a child, giving His life for us so that we can live continually in His presence.

In thinking about the presence of God and learning about abiding in Him, I have come to the conclusion that it is all about the present! Father God, Son, and Holy Spirit long to meet us in every present moment! We are constantly one glance away from a full on encounter with the Trinity – we only have to choose to take a step into that particular moment.

Tis the season to be jolly, stressed out, financially strapped, depressed, and many other lovely emotions; or tis the season to be present. Present with friends and family. Present with our loving Father who designed us to do life with Him. What if we chose to be present? What if we put down our smart phones and looked into the eyes of Love itself or even looked into the eyes of the ones we love sitting right in front of us, begging to be seen or chosen?

If you haven’t been present this season, it’s ok. There is grace abounding and plenty of time. Take a moment now (or whenever you need to reconnect with Love) put your hand on your heart, take 3 deep breaths in and out, and let our Father be present with you.

Be blessed. Be present. And be loved.


Written by Bridgette, Los Angeles, California


No comments:

Post a Comment