Saturday, August 13, 2016

Outside Voices

I serve as the Lead Pastor of a church that is just 15 miles outside of Washington, DC.  I’ve been in the role for the last 12 years and for the 10 years prior to that I served as an Associate Pastor of the same church.

One of the things I’ve learned over the last 22 years is the value of having outside voices in my life.  And when I say “outside voices” I mean people who have wisdom and the ability to speak that wisdom into my life.

Proverbs 1:5 says “…let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance.”  

I’ve benefited from outside voices in my marriage from people who were further along than me.  I’ve benefited from other pastors and leaders as I’ve tried to lead our church through needed change and even difficult times.  And I’ve benefited from people who have raised their children as I try to raise mine and help them to grow to be devoted followers of Jesus.

EVERYONE needs outside voices – people who have wisdom AND who have been given permission to speak that wisdom into our lives.

A habit I started several years ago was capturing quotes – things people have said that I felt were wise enough to write down.  I actually have a file of quotes that I’ve captured through the years.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Perfectionism is simply intolerance of the imperfect.  
Mike Katchura 

People will not desert a leader; they only desert a boss. People will not quit a mission; they only quit a job.  Joe Tyre

Compassion is never compassion until you cross the street and invest yourself. We sometimes confuse compassion with sympathy. Often, we are just emotional, not compassionate.  Christine Caine

God has given you just enough time to do His will. If you're under pressure, it means you’re either doing the wrong thing or the right thing in the wrong way.  Rick Warren

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.  Calvin

We don't have to give a voice to every thought we have. Sometimes silence is the greatest indication of our wisdom.  Russ Williams

If you have momentum and you don't know why you have it, you're one bad decision away from losing it.  Andy Stanley

We have to love the mission enough to do the right thing, even if it means hurting someone's feelings.  Craig Groeschel

I've missed 9000 shots, lost almost 300 games, & missed a game-winning shot 26 times.  Michael Jordan

When we turn people into caricatures, everything’s game. The moment we depersonalize them, our consciences harden and we can mock and slander at will and have a blast doing it. Snide blogs and tweets and Facebook posts about various leaders can also be effective ways to jump in their spotlight. Bullies aren’t just mean. They’re self-serving. They’re platform hunting. They have to borrow one to perform.  Beth Moore

Every mile you go in the wrong direction is really a two-mile error.  Mark Batterson

We are not called to defend God's character, we are called to reflect it.  Heather Zempel

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spent the night with a mosquito.  African Proverb

Listening is non-negotiable in leadership.  People don't need to have their way, they need to have their way considered.  
Paul Dunk

Leadership is disappointing people at a rate they can tolerate.  Rich Hurst

Sometimes God calms the storm. Sometimes He lets the storm rage and He calms you.  Nicky Gumbel


Who are the voices in our lives?  Are they wise voices?  Are we giving them permission to speak into our lives?  Are we applying their wisdom?

Written by David, Fairfax, Virginia
Find out more about his ministry here.


No comments:

Post a Comment