Friday, March 11, 2016

Take A Breath

Isn’t it interesting how English writers can be so different, yet all be confined to the 26-letter-parameter of the alphabet? 

As I consider the process one goes through to so eloquently arrange and splice to mesh and dice, I’m awakened to the power and the poetry stemming from the spaces and the assembly of those letters. 

Take a look at this powerful declaration, comprised of eighteen letters and four spaces:

“I can change the world!”

Now, let me take a minute to rearrange, to exchange letters for spaces, all while keeping the characters the same*:

“Each drowning act, heal”

Same letters, different words. (It’s crazy how much time I spent on this second statement!)

With a positive outlook, I can take this second sentence to mean: no matter what may come my way in life, I need to let myself heal. With every crashing wave that may take me under, I just need to breathe in and heal.  

However, with a negative lens, I can take it to mean: maybe there is only one way to be completely healed. Is this a story about a final drowning act? Is this how I end it all?

Wait, hold up!

I thought I was writing about how “I can change the world!?” What happened in the last 278 letters and 117 spaces? (Did you just count!?) How did something so positive and powerful get so twisted and depressing? 

I got to this point through my space bar and in the arrangement of letters. 

You see, like the 26-letter-parameter, we all have circumstances to work with in life. We all have different places we choose to take a breath, and we all have an eye for the arrangement. 


Our circumstances can be bad or good, a dream or a nightmare. But it’s not the circumstances that define us. It’s our breaths, our choices, our lens. 

It’s the GOD-WITH-US and WHO-CAN-BE-AGAINST-US spirit we need living on the inside. It’s the discipline and hunger to breathe in and rest in the presence and faithfulness of God. 

It’s the discernment and eye to see the “what if’s,” and find the I-AM-ALWAYS-WITH-YOU and I-WILL-NEVER-FORSAKE-YOU God in the midst of peace AND in chaos.

I don’t know where you find yourself today, but be encouraged to breathe in, to explore afresh, and to rearrange.  


*If you double checked, I actually have an extra “A” in the second sentence. I gave up after half an hour of rearranging the first sentence! But, you get the point.

Written by Jordan, Atlanta, GA

2 comments:

  1. THIS!! So good! Jordan, I love it! Thanks for sharing. Your blog was God saying "Yep!" to all the things He's been showing me.

    ReplyDelete