Friday, February 26, 2016

Quieted by Love

Weakness is one of those human traits that I often try to sweep under the rug and ignore, or better yet, sweep under the rug and then jump up and down on that rug. God knows that I will go to great lengths to prove that I can still do x,y, and z no matter what is crumbling in and around me. My loathing of weakness is why I have a love for superheroes and being forced into a corner brings out a fury inside me that can be a little overdramatic. Just so we are clear, I really do not like being seen as weak.

Last week, I woke up with a phrase lodged in my brain. Again and again I kept hearing, “He will quiet you with His love” from Zephaniah 3:17. As I tossed the words around I thought, “What would a picture of that look like really? It sounds nice, but what does that look like?"

Drawn by Stephanie
The image that immediately came to my mind was that of an upset infant being picked up, swaddled and brought near to a mother’s chest to hear her heartbeat. A few minutes later the child is calm, content and resting, safe and secure. 


It is an absolutely beautiful picture, and I didn’t like it.

Being quieted by love in this way requires weakness and vulnerability and I quickly and clearly saw the implications of this beautiful image. It was God saying that the comfort I look for can not be found in my own strength and striving, but it has to come from His strength and His love. 

When we let God bring us close to hear His heartbeat, His intense and overwhelming love for us, then all the other disturbances fade and peace prevails. We are quieted and strengthened by His love.

Which reminds me of the phrase in Psalm 46:10 that says, “Be still, and know that I am God."

In this verse the Hebrew term is raphah, and it is the only time in the Bible it is translated as “still.” When I went looking for the meaning behind the word, I found that its definitions include: be slack, let drop, fail, be quiet, be weak.

Be weak and know that I am God. 
Be quiet and listen to My heartbeat.
Drop all that other stuff you’re carrying just to try and show you’re strong, and know that I will take care of you.
Your failures do not diminish who I Am or who you are.
Curl up against Me and be quieted by My love.  

Written by Stephanie (soon to be living in Ukraine)
Follow her journey here.

2 comments:

  1. Bah! So so so good! Going to read this again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good. This is totally in the same ball park as my favorite verse NLT style---> "My Grace is all you need. My power works best in WEAKNESS." Someday I'll get an awesome tat with it in Japanese or something...

    ReplyDelete